This is one of those recipes that I go back to whenever I need something warm and hearty. Previously to this recipe, I had never used curry paste in my cooking. I had been rather curious to buy it for quite some time, but it was not until I took part of the vegan challenge that I came over this recipe and was simply blown away by its rich taste. And who knew that putting sweet potatoes into a curry and eating it with rice could be this sensational!
Indian Chickpea and Sweet Potato Curry
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 can of chickpeas
- 1 can of crushed tomatoes
- salt and pepper
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 1 yellow onion
- 3 tsp red curry paste
- 4 cm ginger
- ½-1 red chilli
- canola oil
- 1 lime
- 2 Tbsp chopped coriander
- 1 cup of spinach
- sesame seeds
- Boil the rice.
- Chop the onion, ginger and chilli. Put into a heated frying pan with canola oil and the curry paste.
- Peel the sweet potato and chop it into fairly large cubes (twice the size of chickpeas).
- Add the sweet potato and chickpeas into the frying pan and continue to fry for a few minutes.
- Pour the crushed tomatoes into the skillet and add the salt and pepper. As it starts to boil, lower the heat and let it simmer until the sweet potato is soft.
- Add the coconut milk together with the spinach and chopped coriander. Squeeze the juice out of the lime. Stir and let it continue to simmer for a few minutes.
- Serve with rice and your desired salad. I decided to fry some addition tofu on the side.
- Sprinkle some sesame seeds over your curry.